From the 19th century, Tyssedal has been a favorite tourist destination, well known far beyond national borders. European nobility traveled to Tyssedal from early 1800, and even Keizer Wilhelm visited several times.
Tyssedal is a “little piece of Norway in miniature”. Here you can see how hydropower created the basis for industrial development, growth and welfare at the beginning of the 20th century. The company “Aktieselskabet Tyssefaldene ” created the basis for a adventure in the region. The company was founded on 20 April 1906 by the Eyde Group, at Sam Eydes office in Kristiania.
The company “Tyssefaldene” acquired rights to rivers and waterfalls from speculators, and when the first construction phase of Tyssedal Hydro Power Statioin was completed in 1908, the company started producing power. This laid the foundation for an adventurous industrial development in the region.
Tyssedal Hotel’s history extends back to the opening on May 16, 1912. It was built by “Aktieselskabet Tyssefaldene” and was a management hotel for Tyssefaldene’s administration, which had their headquater in Kristiania.
Administration, board members and their guests stayed at the hotel when they were in Tyssedal. Many important meetings with Norwegian and foreign industry leaders have been held at Tyssedal hotel.
The hotel is famous for its large art collection with paintings of The “Garnbinder” by Christian Krogh, Nils Bergslien, Morten Muller, Hans Dahl, Anders Askvold and many more.